11.23.2009

This, Not That

The world of health food is a mind-boggling one. I can't tell you how many books I've read about it and how many articles I've poured over in the quest to find out the truth about what's healthy, and what's not. About 2.5 years ago, I couldn't have cared less. But after the birth of my son Josiah, I realized that it was not only my own health I had to worry about, but his as well. Parenthood can make you very unselfish. In my quest to keep him healthy, I've learned so much about the world of food marketing and what my own body needs to live a long, healthy life. I've learned to tune out the health claims of most foods. While I can't say that I am completely junk-food free, I am trying and I do believe that I will get there someday. I love what Michael Pollan says: "EAT REAL FOOD...NOT TOO MUCH...MOSTLY PLANTS" or something along those lines. His book "IN DEFENSE OF FOOD: AN EATER'S MANIFESTO" was extremely enlightening for me. It really did change my life. It taught me how to read ingredient labels and what to NEVER put into my body again. I love this topic so I will be sharing more about eating real food in the future. For now, I just wanted to share some of my favorites, as opposed to foods that claim to be healthy.

THIS:

INSTEAD OF:



THIS:

INSTEAD OF:


THIS:

INSTEAD OF:


THIS:

INSTEAD OF:


THROW AWAY ALL OF THIS:

AND START BUYING THIS:


The catch? The healthier versions are more expensive. Which is so very wrong. But it takes more time and money to make the better foods--they are not quickly processed so that's why they're more expensive. They are, however, much better quality and much better for you and your heart. The way I look at it, you're saving money in the long run by not having to shell out money for all the health care you will be needing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment